Sunday, September 15, 2013

Something about Something Sundays- From the Start

Alright friends, I've been thinking and I want to start doing a little something special on here once a week. So I am starting a "Something about Something Sunday". This could be anything, from something interesting that happened, tips on taking and being the subject of pictures, my thoughts on the latest news, or my newest creative endeavors.





I thought it would be appropriate for my first one to be on how all of this even started.

I have always been an artistically inclined person, doing anything and everything from painting, to acting, to playing guitar. But, I never found anything that was quite the right fit for me. My freshman year of high school my family and I went on a cross-country road trip and I took pictures with our little point-and-shoot the whole time. We came home and I looked through them with my parents, and they commented on how interesting a few of them were. This is also when I discovered my undying love of jellyfish. Hands-down, the most magical creatures....ever. 

 
(this is one of the photos I took during this trip)


This got the ball rolling.

I then started grabbing my cousin, dog, little brother, best friend, and anything else breathing that would sit still for a few minutes and started taking pictures. For my 16th birthday my family got me a canon rebel, and a whole new world opened up. My senior year of high school, one of my best friends asked me to do her senior pictures, and I fell in love with portraits.
(My very first portrait session, I was paid in a subway sandwich for dinner and a manicure) 



 I did quite a few more friends that year, and Emily-Jean Images (well, back then it was Perfectly Candid Photography) began. 

At the time, as most seniors in high school do, I was considering what I was going to do when I graduated. I considered beauty school, teaching, psychology and many other possibilities. Then, photography got thrown into the mix. I started off very hesitantly, wondering how I could possibly use photography, as a Christian, to glorify God. That was when my youth pastor started asking me to take pictures for events at church. Then I started receiving opportunities to do charity work with it. Then I started realizing that as long as you are headed in the direction the Lord has chosen for you, He will use you how He wants. So I started opening my mind to the possibility of Photography as a career. 

I started going to MJC for a double major in art and photography in 2011. I grew and became more passionate about this form of art every semester. Through various opportunities with other photographers, many competitions entered (some lost and some won) and 150 plus wonderful clients over the last four years, I know that this is the right path for me. And I am so very thankful. 



Whew! That was a long one! It won't be that long every week, but its only fair that you know why I am doing what I am doing.

Have a very happy week friends! 

Much love,
Emily-Jean 

No comments:

Post a Comment